Monday, July 20, 2015

"Nazi Summer Camp" by RADIOLAB; or, The Greatest Generation

In this sobering age of killing sprees, racial tension, and the many-headed hydra that is the war on terror, it's so easy to feel weighed down. Humanity fights like a house divided, a Shakespearean tragedy barreling its way toward its inevitable, disastrous end. Depressing, no? 

I've been fighting that sense for a while now, and I can feel it slowly taking hold, depressing my outlook, but that doesn't mean there aren't bright patches to counter the hum-drum. A story I heard over the weekend, for example.

I drive often between Nashville and Winston-Salem, NC, and what fills most of that time for me is podcasts (which I've previously blogged *read:gushed* about here). I recently subscribed to a new one called the Radiolab--the 3rd most popular cast on the internet, according to iTunes--and the first episode I chose was one entitled Nazi Summer Camp.

I'm glad I did. It's the story of the nearly HALF MILLION Nazi, Italian, and Japanese Prisoners of War kept on American soil during WWII, and though that tagline may sound ominous, the truth is anything but. As it turns out, the "Greatest Generation" wasn't just great because they volunteered in droves to fight for freedom, donuts, and the American Way; they were great because they had every right to fight fire with fire, to give into their baser instincts, their pettiness, their justifiable (or not) hatreds, but instead they chose to hold themselves to an ideal of decency and compassion.

Long story short? They treated their enemies well, and continued to do so, though their enemies chose not to return the favor.

Please listen to the podcast, if you're needing a pick-me-up. It's only 30 minutes, and well worth your time. I've included the link both above and below.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/nazi-summer-camp/

And if you'd like more podcast recommendations, just ask! I actually listen to way too many.

TG

No comments:

Post a Comment